Baptism, Confirmation and Membership
If you are looking for a congregation with a long tradition of service to our community, in-depth Biblical teaching and preaching, vibrant worship and engaging fellowship, then First Church is the perfect place for you. And, we would love to have you as a member of congregation!
The Sacrament of Baptism
- “Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. The promise is for you and your children and for all who are far off—for all whom the Lord our God will call.” –Acts 2:38-39
The Meaning of Baptism (Read more about our United Methodist understanding of Baptism.)
- Baptism is our response to God’s saving grace in Jesus Christ.
- Baptism reminds us to be grateful for what God has already done in our lives—how God’s grace washed away our sin through Jesus Christ and adopted us into the family of faith.
- Baptism points us forward to what God’s grace will accomplish in us in the future—how God will lead us into deeper faithfulness, help us become more authentically loving and guide us to more joyful service in the world.
- People of any age—including children—can be baptized.
Baptism at First United Methodist Church
- Infant, youth and adult baptisms take place as a part of our Sunday morning worship service.
- In presenting yourself or your child for baptism you renounce your sin, profess your faith in Christ, and declare your desire to walk in the way that leads to life.
- When parents present children for baptism, they promise with God’s help to nurture their children in the church so that by their teaching and example
- they may be guided to accept God’s grace for themselves,
- to profess their faith openly, and
- to lead a Christian life.
- The congregation promises with God’s help to
- proclaim the good news and live according to the example of Christ,
- be a faith community of love and forgiveness, and to
- pray for our children that thy may become true disciples who walk in the way that leads to life.
Requesting Baptism. To request baptism please call the church office (785-233-8100) to schedule a conversation with the pastor.